Competitive Scholarship Funds
The value of Catholic education is undeniable. Our Catholic schools provide academic excellence, instill discipline and moral values, and provide a strong foundation for the development of mind and soul. But for many families, Catholic education is difficult to afford.
When you establish a scholarship fund with the Catholic Foundation, you give deserving students the opportunity to pursue their dreams while achieving your own charitable goals. Donors can create their own unique fund or support existing scholarship funds to benefit their communities today and for future generations.
- You may choose the name of the scholarship, designate scholarship amounts, and set special criteria.
- You may choose to provide the scholarship for students in elementary, junior high, high school or even college.
- You may nominate (2) individuals to be part of the evaluation and selection committee.
- The Catholic Foundation manages the fund and distributes awards directly to the school on behalf of the recipients.
- The Catholic Foundation ensures compliance with scholarship rules and regulations as determined by the IRS.
- All funds are invested in accordance with the USCCB guidelines for socially responsible investments.
- Once established, anyone can contribute to a scholarship fund, including family members and other loved ones.
Create your own Scholarship Fund
Whether you want to establish a legacy or honor a loved one, give back to your community or your alma mater, we will work with you to create a scholarship that is uniquely your own. Criteria can be crafted in many ways, including, but not limited to: academic ability, financial need, geographic area, a specific institution, a particular field of study, or underserved communities. You can create your own scholarship fund for as little as $25,000.
The Catholic Foundation provides complete administration of your scholarship fund from publicizing the scholarship; to creating, receiving and processing the applications; to convening the scholarship committee, and everything in between. You may be involved as much or as little as you prefer throughout the scholarship process.
Existing Scholarship Funds
St. Anne Scholars Fund
The Holy Spirit prompted the faithful of the Archdiocese of Detroit as expressed in Synod 16 and in Archbishop Vigneron’s Apostolic Letter Unleash The Gospel–that Catholic schools be available to all families who desire a Catholic education for their children. As a result, the Archdiocese established The St. Anne Fund with the Catholic Foundation.
The Archdiocese seeks to grow their seed gift through relationships with dedicated donors and friends whose hearts are on fire with the mission of Catholic schools for families needing financial assistance. In lieu of creating a new fund, some donors may choose to create a subfund under the St. Anne Scholar’s fund.
St. Martin de Porres Scholarship Fund
Inspired by the life of St. Martin de Porres and made possible by the generosity of a local Catholic family, the St. Martin de Porres scholarship fund was created to provide scholarship grants to students involved or interested in Latin American communities and attending an Archdiocese of Detroit Catholic elementary or middle school.
“Participating in the scholarship program was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done,” said Helen Vlasic, whose family set up the St. Martin de Porres Scholarship fund. “I was so moved by families who are committed to a Catholic education for their children, the sacrifices they made and the personal commitments made to support their parish.”
At a Glance: 2020 Scholarship Impact
Hundreds of lives have been touched through the generosity of our community. These scholarships forever impact the students and their families, and that impact extends to the school communities, contributing donors, and the entire community in Southeast Michigan.
Read more about the Catholic Foundation’s efforts to support Catholic education and formation!
- October 20, 2020: Catholic Foundation 2020-2021 Scholarships Change Lives Forever
- September 11. 2020: Detroit Catholic Catholic Foundation Awards more than $150k in Scholarships
- August 7, 2020: Detroit Catholic New Scholarship Funds for Catholic Schools
- August 7, 2020: Catholic Foundation Frassati Camp Scholarship Will Provide Transformative Opportunities
- July 23, 2020: Catholic Foundation Tuition Assistance Provides Hope for St. Clare Students
- July 20, 2020: Catholic Foundation Generosity Motivated by Hope
- June 19, 2020: Catholic Foundation Through Scholarship, A Beloved Brother Lives On
- June 4, 2020: Catholic Foundation Austin Catholic High School: Fostering Compassionate Leaders