Annually the Catholic Foundation offers a competitive granting process to distribute a percentage of returns from our field of interest funds. Individuals or families, named or otherwise, can support these funds to benefit their communities today and for future generations. Donors benefit from the expertise of professional Foundation staff, the maximum in tax benefits, and the assurance that the earnings from their investments will be utilized to impact lives in their local Catholic community.
In 2018, we awarded $88,500 in grants to southeastern Michigan parishes, schools and community nonprofit organizations. Twenty five grants were offered to 25 organizations in amounts up to $5,000.
The Catholic Foundation grants in three major focus areas in Southeast Michigan. Before submitting a Letter of Intent, please review the program areas and priorities outlined below and consider how your project or program aligns with the foundation’s grant making goals.
Our Gospel call is to respond to vital social services needs such as food, shelter, medicine for the sick, hope for those in despair and vulnerable within our community. Examples include but not limited to:
• Sustaining Archdiocesan, religious or parish-sponsored nonprofit organizations
• Leveraging local nonprofit organizations in line with Catholic Social Teaching.
Our parish is where we encounter Christ – in the sacraments, as well as in the people of our faith community. It’s where we worship, learn, and serve. It’s our home and it is our privilege to create a strong parish environment. Examples include but not limited to:
• Building welcoming and attractive Catholic parishes in Michigan
• Supporting resource equipment, materials, technology development for communications and outreach related to parish community development
• Encouraging training opportunities and new staff positions related to parish community development
Catholic education encompasses all types of faith formation for people of every age. We encourage all stages of educational and spiritual development to enhance vibrant discipleship. Examples include but not limited to:
• Supporting innovative faith formation
• Fostering high quality young adult, youth or senior ministries
• Improving access to parochial schools
• Promoting leadership development for religious order ministries
Priority will be given to Impact grant requests that:
These grants are awarded to Catholic parishes and schools and other Catholic organizations that propagate the Catholic faith in the cities of Detroit, Hamtramck, and Highland Park. The endowment provides support for evangelization, Catholic education and faith formation, service and outreach, and building vibrant Catholic communities in the city. Priority is given to innovative evangelization programs and projects in line with Unleash the Gospel that boldly proclaim the Gospel of Jesus and lead souls to a personal encounter with him. Priority is also given to requests for matching grants.
Church in the City grant requests must:
Please contact us if you have questions or wish to discuss your idea. Our staff can be reached by calling 248.204.0332 or emailing Info@CatholicFoundationMichigan.org.